The machine that claimed the last three Australian Motocross Championships, the Yamaha YZ450F has been heavily updated for 2020.
The changes are highlighted by an all-new compact and lighter cylinder head with redesigned combustion chamber shape, steeper valve angles and more aggressive cam profiles. A high compression piston with low friction rings is attached to a longer connection rod and the transmission has been refined. A more efficient crank breather system has also been introduced.
It’s not just an updated engine for the 2020 YZ450F, the list of updates is extensive.
• Lighter and more compact high-compression cylinder head
• New high compression, bridge-box designed forged piston with DLC coated piston pin
• More aggressive cam profiles
• New bar mounted map switch – blue button, dual function
• New free flow, high seal air filter system
• Yamaha bilateral beam aluminium frame featuring updated main spars
• New engine mounting points that centralise mass and provide an ideal rigidity balance between cornering feel and straight-line confidence.
• Refined, speed-sensitive damping in KYB twin chamber forks to give industry-leading suspension performance straight out of the box.
• Larger diameter front brake piston and increased caliper rigidity for improved braking power
• New brake pads with expanded pad area for increased braking power and controllability
• New lighter front brake rotor with expanded braking area for strong and stable braking
• New lighter and wider diameter rear brake rotor with improved heat dissipation
• Lighter bar clamps
• New lighter front axle and triple clamp
• Stiffer seat foam for ease of rider movement
• New pattern Dunlop tyres for increased corner traction
• Weight shaved everywhere – from the footpegs to the electrical system
• New graphics and grey colour option
The new 2020 YZ450F will be available from dealers next month in Team Yamaha Blue and Grey – pricing and availability are to be announced.