Yamaha’s WR250F has built an enviable reputation for performance, handling and reliability among racers and fast trail riders alike. Featuring a wide range of updates, the latest model provides an even faster way through the bush for 2022.
First launched in 2001 in collaboration with Australians, the WR250F continues to be developed to suit local terrain and riders. Now stepping up the off-road experience to the next level, the new quarter litre weapon features the benchmark YZ250F as a base with a combination of cutting edge off-road features. In doing so YMC engineers have produced the best performing WR250F yet.
Development input by a range of Aussie enduro riders over the years is one reason the WR250F continues to outsell its competition. Continual updates based on the hugely successful YZ250F MX weapon is another. This model is currently leading the MXGP championship with French rider Maxime Renaux.
By using the current model YZ250F as a starting point, our experienced development team – including Kiwi race team manager and Yamaha legend Josh Coppins – came up with an enduro weapon that turns, stops and goes better than ever before. The 2022 WR250F is a machine that can be raced straight out of the crate.
Sporting a new aluminium bilateral beam frame, more power with a smoother delivery, slicker gear shifts and stronger braking, the MY22 is improved in all the major areas.
The MY22 WR450F continues with the radical updates received in 2021 that gave the bike a lighter, more balanced feel with easier to control power delivery.
Both models will be available from December 2021 in Team Yamaha Blue, prices will be $14,899 inc GST ride away* for WR250F and $16,499 inc GST ride away* for WR450F.
The new model’s liquid-cooled, four-stroke, electric start engine features an all-new cylinder head with a larger and improved intake port shape and new exhaust camshaft profile straight from the MXGP dominant YZ250F.
These mods, along with other refinements like revised engine balancer and gear shift cam help to produce stronger mid to top-end power and increased peak power, while retaining class-leading low-end torque.
Tuned specifically for the 2022 WR250F, the updated lightweight aluminium, bilateral beam frame and new engine mounts have been redesigned with all-new flex characteristics to improve bump absorption, traction, and cornering performance.
Settings on the industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB coil spring-type fork with enhanced speed-sensitive damping have been revised to suit the new machine and off-road conditions. And the link-type rear suspension features a KYB shock with revised damping characteristics to match the updated chassis.
Other chassis components such as the top triple clamp, handlebar mounts, and front axle have also been redesigned to complement the new frame – and like the frame these changes are based on the winning YZ250F.
New Dunlop Geomax EN91 ISDE-winning tyres have been specified for improved performance over a wide variety of terrain.
Improved braking performance is achieved with newly engineered lighter front brake caliper with larger surface area brake pads and redesigned front 270mm disc. A new speed sensor ring sends information to an all-new user-friendly multifunction meter that houses both engine and low fuel warning lights.
Riders can adjust their engine performance straight from their smartphone using the onboard wireless connectivity through the free of charge Yamaha Power Tuner app. Once settings are dialled-in, you can choose between two user-defined ECU maps on the fly via the handlebar mounted dual-mode engine map switch.
The new model will continue to provide the edge out on the trails, with the ideal blend of user friendliness and high performance. Features such as electric start, advanced fuel injection and a front-positioned intake with rear-positioned exhaust layout delivers the widest spread of power while maintaining reliable performance and balance for excellent mass-centralisation.
When combined with a lightweight, sharp-handing chassis and industry leading suspension package, the new WR250F continues to offer the fastest way across tight and technical terrain while also providing the widest smile possible.
Complemented by new next-generation Team Yamaha Blue colours and graphics, the 2022 WR250F reflects Yamaha’s race-winning pedigree. The new model is fitted with a full power ECU and comes with ADR compliance so can be fully road registered in all states. A free Off-Road Competition Kit is also offered for owners who wish to set up their WR250F to ride on closed courses.
MY22 WR250F new features and benefits
• New YZ250F-spec exhaust cam for better drive
• New YZ250F-spec intake port shape increases volume for improved flow rate and power delivery
• New YZ250F-spec carb joint improves power delivery
• Improved cam chain tensioner design
• New engine balancer reduces vibration and improves drive at low to mid-range.
• New gearbox cam shift design for smoother gear shifting
• New Control Filled aluminium frame based on YZ250F and tuned for off-road riding
• New engine brackets tuned specifically for MY22 WR250F
• Industry-leading KYB speed-sensitive dual chamber forks and rear shock with revised settings to suit MY22 chassis
• New YZ250F-spec footpegs, bars, holders and front axle with sealed bearing front wheel
• New Dunlop Geomax E91 tyres with new profile, overall weight saving and better performance over a wide range of conditions. Front 90/90-21 and rear 140/80-18 sizes
• New multi-function meter with integral fuel and engine warning lights. Also features odometer, tripmeters, clock, timer and accumulated fuel consumption meter indicator
• New stronger chain guide bracket
• New front brake 270mm rotor with 16% increased surface without any extra weight
• Larger front caliper pistons – 22.65 mm to 25.4 mm – with 30% increased rigidity
• New front brake pads with 25% increased surface area
• New exhaust heat guard design to avoid snagging
• New stronger muffler bracket
Australian off-road kit
All WR250F AND WR450Fs come with full ADR compliance and so can be road registered to ride in Australian state forests where permitted. Each bike also comes with a free off-road kit for closed course competition use which includes:
• Lightweight LED tail light/and licence plate holder
• High quality braided steel front brake line
• Competition larger diameter GYTR exhaust muffler outlet
• Full power/full movement throttle stopper screw
• Brake snake rear foot brake protection
• Wiring connector for rear brake light
• Barkbuster handguard set – not pictured in global images shown
• Front and rear brake line Banjo bolts
• Tail light undercover
• Original side stand bolt, engine stop switch, engine start switch
• Communication Control Unit
• CCU map switch
• 5 x 100mm zip ties for speedo sensor line attachment to brake line