Australian Toby Price has put in an incredible performance during stage eight of the Dakar Rally. Price lead right up until the final two checkpoints to finish the stage in third position, climbing Toby into the overall lead. There is only one-minute between Toby and Husqvarna’s Pablo Quintanilla.
Toby Price: “I knew today had to count so I gave it everything – the wrist is really starting to sting now! It was a long special at 360 kilometres but I got through it and I’m pleased with how the whole stage went. Just two days left so I’ll get some rest tonight and attack again tomorrow. When the helmet goes on, you know I’m just going to do the best I can.”
Honda’s Ricky Brabec who was leading the rally at the start of stage eight, was forced to retire with an engine failure.
1. Toby Price (AUS), KTM, 28:53:08
2. Pablo Quintanilla (CHL), Husqvarna, 28:54:11, +01:03
3. Matthias Walkner (AUT), KTM, 28:59:43, +06:35
4. Sam Sunderland (GBR), KTM, 28:59:46, +06:38
5. Adrien Van Beveren (FRA), Yamaha, 29:03:02, +09:54